Sponsored by the Mockingbird Chapter of the Poetry Society of Texas
With categories for
- Students: Open to all Collin County public, private, and home school students (K-12).
- Winners are chosen from each grade level.
- Adults: Open to all adults residing in Collin County.
- Mockingbird Chapter Members: Open to all members regardless of residence.
Winners (1st, 2nd, and 3rd place) receive certificates.
Accepting entries from October 15, 2013 through January 22, 2014 (Postmark Date)
1. Each contestant may enter one poem that may be written in any style and on any subject.
2. Poem must be the original work of the contestant.
3. Poem is not to exceed 28 lines (Title and white space between lines or stanzas are not counted).
4. A poem is not eligible that has been published (school publications acceptable).
5. Contestants must retain a copy of their poems. Submitted copies will not be returned.
Winners will be announced at the 43rd Collin County Poetry Awards in March.
Preparation of Entries
- Submit two (2) typed copies of poem.
- In the top left corner of BOTH COPIES, write Student grade level, Adult, or Mockingbird Member.
- In the top right corner of ONE COPY, write your identification: name, address, city, zip. Students must also add school name, teacher’s name and teacher’s email. Adults, please include your email address.
- Teachers, please stack each student’s set with the identification copy on top, second copy beneath. Please do not use paper clips. Please do not stable the two copies. Do not send by registered mail. Mail to: Mockingbird Poetry Society – 8117 Alderwood Pl. – Plano, TX 75025
Please direct any questions to Beth Ayers (972-747-1297) email@example.com
All student poets are also encouraged to enter the Poetry Society of Texas Student contest. Deadline for this contest is March 1, 2014. See the PST website for information: http://www.poetrysocietyoftexas.org.